THE TRUCK FROZE UP AND IS LEAKING WATER VERY ...

1993 GMC C1500

geraldkirby

January, 7, 2013 AT 4:35 AM

The truck froze up and is leaking water very heavy from the rear of the engine running down both sides of oil pan. I suspect freeze plugs pushed out. Does the engine or trans. Have to be pulled to change them? I am not sure of the location of them either. Local mechanic is quoating 1200.00 and I dont have it.

Dr. Hagerty

January, 7, 2013 AT 4:41 AM

Small block Chevy has two plugs in the back of the motor that necessitates transmission and engine be parted, so yes the transmission and/or engine comes out.

geraldkirby

January, 7, 2013 AT 4:53 AM

Is there anyway to see or feel for sure that they have came out? Also someone said there may be a coolant crossover pipe / hose somewhere on the back of the engine that could have blown. Is this possible?

Dr. Hagerty

January, 7, 2013 AT 5:07 AM

Frankly no. It froze. Water expands when frozen. Plugs pushed out. Very likely. Whats also possible is a cracked block. If its leaking as hard as you say it is, pull the tranny/engine.

Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe 2015
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Camaro
Oil and Filter Replacement Subaru Legacy
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Taurus