1993 CHEVY CAPRICE 5.0 305. STALLS WHEN COMING TO A STOP

• twland
  • 1993 Chevrolet Caprice
  • automatic

Recently the car has started stalling when coming to a stop or idle. I've checked for codes nothing stored. I've replaced all plugs wires cap and rotor, fuel filter. I've tested the TPS sensor and I am getting correct voltages. I've tested fuel pressure and its 12 psi. I've tested the EGR valve and it is not stuck. Both injectors appear to be spraying equally. The only way to keep this car running at a stop light is to hold the gas and brake at the same time. The car doesn't restart when it dies I have to get out and spray it with ether to get it to restart. Its worth mentioning that this car didn't run great before this issue started. The car would hesitate on take off's and seemed to idle rough but never died until recently.

Sunday, December 12th, 2010 AT 12:21 AM

• caprice1993

My 93 Caprice 5.7 stalled at 203,000 miles; could not restart.
They repaced fuel pump relay and ignition module; could restart, but at stop light it would stall again; they replaced EGR valve. Since then I have replaced Idle Air Control Valve and Fuel Pressure Regulator diaphragm; idle is smoother and more stable, even in gear (at long lights I still put it in neutral which helps). Some say that distributor shaft can be bad on Caprices.

Friday, January 7th, 2011 AT 8:31 PM
  • caprice1993

As a followup, I just replaced the IAF sensor, and finally the EGR Valve Solenoid which seems to give much more stable idle when in gear at a stoplight.
Hope this helps

Monday, January 10th, 2011 AT 8:43 PM
  • twland

Thanks for the input. Ended up putting in a Pickup Coil and an ignition module to fix this issue

Monday, January 10th, 2011 AT 9:12 PM