HAS AN OIL LEAK AT THE BASE OF THE OIL FILTER

• mikespain
  • 1992 Toyota Camry

My 4 cylinder Camry - There is a housing that the oil filter threads on to and has 2 hoses going to it.

It appears that the oil leak is coming from between the oil filter housing and the engine block. What do you call this part and is there a gasket between the housing and engine block? Also, the hoses going to the filter housing have simple spring type hose clamps. This does not seem to be an adequate clamp for a pressurized oil line. Can you help?
Thanks,
Mike

Sunday, November 20th, 2011 AT 8:23 PM

• rasmataz

Check the oil pressure with a gauge before you start work on it-let me know the oil pressure reading

Sunday, November 20th, 2011 AT 8:34 PM
  • KHLow2008

That is known as the oil cooler. Behind it is a gasket and the cooler hoses runs coolant, not engine oil.

+1
Sunday, November 20th, 2011 AT 8:57 PM
  • mikespain

KHLow2008,
Thanks for the response, you are correct! After doing a little more research I found out the same thing. There is an O-ring and a gasket (for the relief valve). I was able to order the gasket kit from O'Reilly's Auto Parts and will be here tomorrow.
Thanks again,
Mike

+1
Sunday, November 20th, 2011 AT 10:31 PM
  • KHLow2008

You're welcome.

Have a nice day.

Monday, November 21st, 2011 AT 5:20 PM
  • GlobeSon

Hi Mike,
My 1993 Camry 2.2L has the same problem. Oil leak from the gasket between oil filter base and engine block. Can you pls tell me the exact procedure you followed to fix it? What did it cost you? Is it a simple procedure or need to take car to mechanic? Pls advise.

Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 AT 2:51 AM
  • KHLow2008

OIL COOLER

Removal

1. Oil cooler is mounted between oil filter and cylinder block.
Disconnect negative battery cable. Drain cooling system.

2. Remove lower engine cover. It may be necessary to remove alternator. Remove front exhaust pipe. Remove exhaust manifold with catalytic converter for access to oil cooler (if necessary).

3. Remove oil filter. Disconnect coolant hoses from oil cooler. Remove relief valve and plate washer from center of oil cooler housing. Remove oil cooler-to-cylinder block nut. Remove oil cooler and "O" rings.

Installation

1. To install, reverse removal procedure using NEW "O" rings. Coat "O" rings with engine oil. Coat threads and area below head of relief valve with engine oil.

2. Install oil cooler with oil cooler-to-cylinder block nut and relief valve loosely installed. Tighten relief valve and then the nut to specification.

3. Use NEW gasket when installing exhaust manifold and front exhaust pipe at catalytic converter (if removed). Add engine oil as needed. Fill cooling system.

+1
Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 AT 2:37 PM
  • mikespain

GlobeSon, I did not have to remove the exhaust pipe in order to replace the oil cooler O-ring. Simple fix. You can do it. Follow KHLow2008's step by step instructions and you will be good to go.

+1
Wednesday, December 14th, 2011 AT 6:53 AM