I HAVE CHANGED THE ALTERNATOR IN MY CAR AND THE ...

1992 Pontiac Firebird

davebeardsley

March, 2, 2013 AT 7:01 PM

I have changed the alternator in my car and the car seems to run fine but my volt meter on my dash fluctuates. When I break or give it gas. What could be the cause of this prob. Please help me.

hmac300

March, 2, 2013 AT 7:14 PM

Try cleaning your battery terminal ends first make sure belt is tight on alternator

davebeardsley

March, 3, 2013 AT 1:10 AM

It's a brand new belt. And brand new terminal ends.

hmac300

March, 3, 2013 AT 1:14 AM

It cold be a bad gauge or a wire that is shorting causing this. Also check your battery for condition including load test. Most auto parts do that for free. Did you replace the tensioner when your replaced the belt. It should have been

davebeardsley

March, 3, 2013 AT 3:00 AM

No I didn't change the tensioner. It looked good to me. It just did something new to me now. I was driving it and the car just automatically shut off. It never dos that before. I had the battwty tested like 4 times cause its atleast 5 years old. So my first thought the battery was bad. I checked thw voltage with the car running. It was 1475 steady.

hmac300

March, 3, 2013 AT 1:55 PM

That is only what the alternator is putting out have the battery tested including load test. Auto parts do it for free being a 92 chck yoru fusible links at starter they may be broken or partially broken causing this. Without actually seeing this it is very hard for me to give a proper diagnosis. See pic

davebeardsley

March, 3, 2013 AT 9:35 PM

I had the battery tested. Its 1272. Now u said their is a fuseable link. Is it right at the starter?

hmac300

March, 3, 2013 AT 9:37 PM

Its pointed out in the diagram I sent look there

davebeardsley

March, 4, 2013 AT 5:52 PM

I found the fuseable link. Where can I go to try and get new ones at.

hmac300

March, 4, 2013 AT 5:53 PM

If its bad you can go to any auto parts store and get one there.

davebeardsley

March, 4, 2013 AT 6:16 PM

They dont look bad. The wires don't look fraided or cracked. And the cover of the fuse dosent open up. I don't believe its suppose too. It says 16 on it. Which I'm guessing thats the ampage. Those fuseable links are not like the fuseable links for a car stereo. The reason I'm so lost is this is the first time I have ever worked on a car with fuseable links.

Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Alternator testing done right
Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon