WHAT COULD BE THE CAUSE OF MY CAR LOSING SPARK?

1992 Plymouth Acclaim

DrAMP14

May, 25, 2012 AT 10:45 PM

I got no spark, I started my car at work, drove about 100 feet and it died and hasn't started since, changed the coil pack and that was not it. 2.5L motor

Cj7

cadieman

May, 25, 2012 AT 10:50 PM

Then ck. The fuel pressure

DrAMP14

May, 25, 2012 AT 10:52 PM

How do I do that? And what do I do if that is the problem?

May, 25, 2012 AT 10:53 PM

Check the ignition control module and crank sensor-

DrAMP14

May, 25, 2012 AT 11:03 PM

Alright but im a newbie at these things, how do I check fuel pressure and the ICM and crank sensor? Ive got a volt meter but what ohms do I test crank sensor at?

caradiodoc

May, 25, 2012 AT 11:22 PM

REAL common problem and easy fix is the Hall Effect pickup assembly under the distributor cap and rotor. That will cause no spark AND no fuel spray from the injector. Fuel pump won't turn on either except for one second after turning on the ignition switch. Usually though the pickups fail when they get warm. Since the engine wasn't warmed up yet, also check that the rotor is turning when you crank the engine. If it is not, and / or the engine sounds funny during cranking, you might suspect the timing belt has broken. The 2.5L is not an interference engine so repairs are not too involved or expensive.

Ignition Coil Replacement Ford Taurus
Ignition Coil System Test Repair - All Cars
Ignition System Test Guide