Prelude H22a VTEC timing belts change

114724554
  • 1992 HONDA PRELUDE
  • 100 MILES
Hi, I have a 92 Honda prelude Si with a manual h22a Vtec engine. Since the old timing belts worn out, I bought a new set of Greddy timing belts, water pump and camshaft oil seals and a set of manual tension(all OEM parts except the belts).
My mechanic installed everything to the car, the engine sounded fine and ran pretty well. But after driving few miles, there was a whine sound came from inside the timing belts, the sound increase when high rpm. So I took the car back to the shop, they adjusted the belts back to normal twice but the whine sound kept coming back after. The mechanic said it's either the belts or the bolt of the manual tension fail.
I had spent so many $ for the parts and labor. But still cant find the problem. I really need some help here.
Monday, March 7th, 2011 AT 6:11 AM

IS the belt coming loose? It can't be stretching that much. I would recommend replacing the tensionier if it keeps coming loose and have the mechanic use loc-tight when he installs the retaining bolts.
Monday, March 7th, 2011 AT 1:02 PM
114724554
Hi, the problem seems more complicated. The whining sound present when the engine fully warm up. It's not noticeable when engine is cold. Now I have no ideas of what is the problem at.
Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 AT 4:27 AM