DO I NEED TO REBUILD TRANNY, OR IS IT A CLUTCH,SHIFT FORK, OR SLAVE CYLINDER?

1992 Geo Prizm

Ws6ls1346

November, 20, 2011 AT 8:27 AM

Ok first of all, I appreciate yall's time and effort. Last time I asked a? Here, you helped me fix my car. Well, now I have a geo 5spd manual and my problem goes like this: I ran her hard the other day and I guess I broke something because now she wont drive, btw I put a new clutch assembly on 2000 miles ago myself. Symptoms:

1. With car OFF, I can shift into all gears fine except itll BARELY lock into 1st and 2nd feels softer than before.

2. While cranking(stick and linkage in N), the car moves forward as if in gear, and cant stop her but to turn off the key. Stuck in gear?

3. Finally, when parked uphill in driveway, with no e-brake, she DOESNT roll backwards? But if I push in the clutch she'll roll back? Whats that about?

Anyone that is familiar with manual transmissions I will greatly appreciate any imput you have.

November, 20, 2011 AT 8:31 AM

You have a faulty with the clutch system and it could be either theclutch assy itself or the hydraulic system.

If the pedal height is very low, check the clutch fluid level. If low, you have a leak somee where. If none, check the pedal height adjustment, clutch master cylinder.

Try bleeding the system and retest.

Ws6ls1346

November, 20, 2011 AT 8:43 AM

Hey thanks for the reply. Slave cylinder fluid is at level and I bled it, that didnt fix it. I pushed The button on the side of the slave cylinder and it doesnt feel like it used to. I guess I have to drop the tranny then huh?

Ws6ls1346

November, 20, 2011 AT 8:45 AM

November, 20, 2011 AT 9:04 PM

Get a helper to depress while you check if the clutch fork is moving sufficiently. If the clutch fork is not travelling too much, then it could be the master cylinder. If the clutch is travelling far without the clutch releasing itself, you most probably need to drop the transmission to check the clutch.

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions