MY OLD CARAVAN JUST STARTED FLOODING WHEN COLD ...

1992 Dodge Caravan

eded

My old caravan just started flooding when cold started, does fine otherwise. Has been well maintained so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Wiring Issue?

How do you know it is flooding?

eded

It wont fire untill it's cranked continuously and eventually cleans up. It hits inconsistently over and over again eventually picking up speed untill it starts to chug on its own at that point you can release the key and it will continue to chug along for about 10 to 15 seconds then clear up and run fine. At this point you can also smell the raw gas from the exhaust briefly. If you let off the ignition key and try more than once while trying to start the condition worsens as it get another shot of gas from the ecm due to the cold start.

Could have a bad injector bleeding off fuel into the cylinder.

I would start with a fuel pressure test to see what the pressure is and if it holds pressure when shut off.

eded

Thanks Roy, but if it was bleeding fuel wouldn't it cause problems at other times also. This only happens during cold weather starts. I'll check it out though. I've got a fuel pressure tester for GM vehicles will have to figure out how to jerry rig it onto this one.

What motor? Some have the same schreader valve.

Coolant sensor may be bad too. Remove the connector and jump the terminals and it run it full lean.

eded

Roy, It's a 3.0 I'm going to go out and look for the valve. I thought I read some where that this motor had to be spliced into the fuel line but may be wrong. Sure do appreciate your help!
I'll let you know what I find. Ed.

Let me know

Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Escape
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda CR-V
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford Focus