CHEVY BERRETTA FAILED EMISSIONS CO READING

1992 Chevrolet Beretta

Ayakashi

February, 7, 2012 AT 8:51 PM

I know very little about vehicles but a few of my friends are somewhat knowledgeable about most newer cars but not really familiar with the Beretta.

It is 1992 Chevy Beretta and failed CO at 12.20 with 12.00 grams/mile required to pass.

HC tested 0.63/1.00 and NOX tested 2.43/2.50 both of these passed but figured I'd put the information in here along with the CO in case if it can help pinpoint what may need repaired.

What has already been done to the vehicle since December 2011:
New Spark Plugs/wires
New Catalytic converter
New O2 Sensor
Vacuum leak was fixed
New Air Filter

What else could affect the CO emissions that may need to be repaired/replaced? (Looking for something that won't cost over $450 IF possible.)

Some things to mention:
1.) Head gasket has minor leakage.
2.) Car does idle rough when stopped while in drive but is just fine in park. Smooths out once it gets going again.
3.) I was sitting in line at testing center for 30 minutes, I did rev engine however the car may have cooled down/catalytic converter may not have been working at it's best.

I just want it to pass emissions so I can the vehicle titled in this state. Thanks.

February, 7, 2012 AT 10:35 PM

Overly too rich of a A/F mixture-Check and test the coolant temperature and oxygen sensors

Ayakashi

February, 8, 2012 AT 12:38 AM

I took it to a repair shop in my local area and with the diagnostic they did, they are telling me I need new fuel injectors/fuel pressure regulator due to leakage. Which is well over my price range. I'm going to try taking it to another shop tomorrow. They did also mention that the PCV valve cannot be replaced without breaking something that would be pricey.

February, 8, 2012 AT 4:52 AM

Go somewhere else and have it looked at all over again

Fail Your Smog Test? Fix it Fast