ENGINE CRANKS BUT WON'T START

1991 Saturn Astra

ignaciosotojr

June, 29, 2011 AT 12:20 AM

Car will turn over but will not start. It has spark and fuel pump works. Checked trouble codes all I get is code 12 fuel pump working Saturn will not start. Possible Injectors not working?

saturntech9

June, 29, 2011 AT 12:26 AM

Code 12 is normal means the computer is working. What is your fuel pressure reading?Not just you heard the pump running it can run and produce too low of fuel pressure to start. Why do you suspect your injectors being inop. What about your coolant temp sensor that can cause a crank no start and its really common for them to go bad on those cars.

ignaciosotojr

June, 29, 2011 AT 1:23 AM

I replaced Coolant Temp. Sensor. Still no start. Disconnected fuel line from filter and and had a strong flow, but did not connect a fuel pressure guage inline. So, I don't know what the pressure is

saturntech9

June, 29, 2011 AT 1:34 AM

On the coolant temp sensor you replace did you replace the top one with one wire going to it?Or the bottom one with two wires going to it?Also are you sure you got the coolant temp sensor and the gauge sender when you bought it?I had one user who got the wrong sensor from the parts store. Also to check the fuel pressure if you look by the fuel rail you will see a black cap that is where you screw the gauge on they rent the gauge at auto zone.I also think they might rent the noid light to check for injector pulse.

saturntech9

June, 29, 2011 AT 1:43 AM

Also did you inspect the connector going to the sensor the terminals?If they are green or blue you have to change the connector. The sensors crack and leak coolant into the connectors and they get corroded and skew the temp reading to computer.

ignaciosotojr

June, 29, 2011 AT 2:03 AM

I replaced the bottom one with two wires. The sensor was not cracked or leaking. What should the fuel pressure reading be? And my Saturn is not an Astra. It's an SL2 Coupe.

saturntech9

June, 29, 2011 AT 4:55 PM

If its a 1991 two door coupe then you have just a sc model. The pressure should be 38-44 psi key on engine off after cranking for three seconds.

ignaciosotojr

June, 30, 2011 AT 12:26 AM

Thanks, I really appreciate your help! I will check the fuel pressure and go from there.

saturntech9

June, 30, 2011 AT 1:58 AM

Your welcome keep me posted.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test