CAR STRUGGLES TO MOVE IN REVERSE TRAN FLUID FINE

1991 Plymouth Acclaim

fixitmr

March, 8, 2013 AT 9:57 PM

Car struggles to move in reverse tran fluid fine

hmac300

March, 8, 2013 AT 10:48 PM

Have a trasn guy look atit it may have clutch/seal problems.

fixitmr

March, 9, 2013 AT 12:29 AM

It does move backwards slow. What it does is resist moving. Like the car is stuck or something. Forward is fine. Happened suddenly I beleive. No problems before this with drivetrain.

hmac300

March, 9, 2013 AT 12:43 AM

Sounds like either a pump pressure problem or a troque converter problem or you have two clutches applying that arenot supposedto be it cold also be a bad roller clutch in it. Have a trans guy diagnose it

fixitmr

March, 9, 2013 AT 4:25 PM

The car drives fine shifts fine it's just the reverse that is not right. I actually have not looked at car yet myself just got description from relative. I was thinkin maybe it could be somethin other than trans like a brake issue or wheel issue?

hmac300

March, 9, 2013 AT 4:34 PM

If it were a brake issue it woldn'tmove forward either or make bang due to parking brake hanging up. REverse requires the most pressure inside the transmission to operate that is why I said have a trans guy look at it. You could have lost a clutch like a front or dierct clutch or an overdirve thrust bearing has failed. I'd bet the fluid is crappy looking as well

fixitmr

March, 10, 2013 AT 4:16 AM

I know the back brakes were really rusty cause car sat for yrs. Thinik maybe a shoe came loose and wedged but like you say I would expect a clunk noise. I think if when I get to it if I cant see anything obvious with inspection of car I will put front wheels off ground and see what happens.

fixitmr

March, 15, 2013 AT 8:06 PM

So a mechanic looked at it and said back brake on 1 wheel is jammed only turns forward easily. Something wrong inside drum. So I think I guessed right on piece of shoe got loose and stuck between another shoe and drum. Or it's just too tight?

hmac300

March, 20, 2013 AT 2:25 PM

Pull it off and look at it whichshold have been done in the first place. Make sure the shoes are on correctly, smaller shoe in front

fixitmr

March, 28, 2013 AT 5:23 PM

It WAS the drivers rear BRAKE that was causing problem. Drum was fine. Shoes were bad worn and drum had lots of crud in it. New shoes/hardware and it's fine now.

Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Mount Replacement - RWD Cars