I DID TRY AND FIND A CODE

1991 Mazda MX6

carol long

November, 13, 2012 AT 1:37 AM

I did try and find a code. Did not find a code that is why I am in question of ecu I read somewher that if the check engine light is solid it would be the ecu. It doesnt flash and when the car is running there is no check engine light on. Only when it shuts down is when the solid check engine light is on

November, 13, 2012 AT 1:39 AM

Ecu is the very last thing you would. So much more can fail and cheaper and easier.

We need the code to narrow down the failed system

November, 13, 2012 AT 1:48 AM

Do you know exactly how its done to pull code/s on this vehicle?

carol long

November, 13, 2012 AT 1:49 AM

I did take to small shop they couldnt pull up a code either. I will try another shop. Thank you roy. I really didnt want to spend that much for a ECU. THANK YOU FOR REMINDING ME OF THE OTHER SIMPLER CHEAPER THINGS IT COULD BE!

November, 13, 2012 AT 1:52 AM

No sweat, as Ras asked, do you think we can talk you through pulling the code?

November, 13, 2012 AT 1:55 AM

Diagnosis Connector

When problems occur in ECU monitored input or output devices, the dash mounted malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) will light ("CHECK") and stay "ON" while faults are present and the engine is running. With the procedure described, malfunction codes can be retrieved from ECU memory in the form of sequential MIL flashes.

NOTE: The ECU constantly checks for input device malfunctions. However, it only checks for output device malfunctions during a three second period after the ignition is switched "ON" with diagnosis connector "TEN" terminal grounded. If there is more than one code present, the lowest number is displayed first, followed by subsequent codes in numerical order.

MALFUNCTION CODE CHART

Fig. 158 Code Chart

INSPECTION PROCEDURE

Warm engine to operating temperature. Switch ignition "OFF."
Connect jumper wire between diagnosis connector "TEN" and "GND" terminals.
Switch ignition "ON."
If codes are present, the MIL will light in patterns illustrated on the MALFUNCTION CODE CHART.
When all codes have displayed, the sequence will repeat until the jumper wire is removed.
Record codes and repair as necessary. Refer to DIAGNOSTIC CHARTS for code troubleshooting information.
Following repairs, perform after-repair procedure.

AFTER-REPAIR PROCEDURE

CAUTION: Obtain code number and deactivate audio anti-theft system before disconnecting battery. Refer to ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURES.

To erase codes from ECU memory, disconnect negative battery cable and depress brake pedal for at least five seconds. Reconnect battery cable.
Switch ignition "ON" but do not start engine for six seconds.
Start and warm up engine, then run at 2000 rpm for three minutes. Install jumper wire between diagnosis connector "TEN" and "GND" terminals.
Ensure that the MIL no longer flashes malfunction codes.

November, 13, 2012 AT 2:16 AM

I should have just mention it by jumper TEN to GND and read of the CEL and then comeback-lol here we go again-I had a 1993 back in 2009