SUPER COUPE AUTO (AOD) THIRD GEAR SEEMS TO HAVE TURNED INTO NEUTRAL !

1991 Ford Thunderbird

tbirdbooboo

September, 28, 2011 AT 11:24 PM

Hi I live in the uk and was driving my tbird (3.8l supercharged v6) doing about 70 mph in the overdrive gear (auto) and all of a sudden the gearchange to 3rd was a bit of a jolt and I lost 3rd, its now neutral. The car still drives fine in 1st and into 2nd but when it goeas for 3rd there is nothing there, it just revs. I have tried in the normal drive and still no third. Reverse etc everything else works but im stumped as im here in the uk. I have not lost fluid in he box as its still topped up correctly.
i have heard of a tv cable to check but have not checked yet. Am I in need of a new gearbox?

September, 28, 2011 AT 11:37 PM

It will have to come out and opened up. It sounds like the clutches or drum has failed. It most likely will have to be overhauled.

tbirdbooboo

September, 28, 2011 AT 11:54 PM

! Oh well lol thank you for your reply, I cant even find a replacement gearbox on ebay u.S lol nightmare ! : -)

September, 28, 2011 AT 11:57 PM

Is there anyone there that can overhaul it?

tbirdbooboo

September, 29, 2011 AT 12:28 AM

Possibly but its just that nobody around here has ever seen one of these let alone striped the gearbox lol I will find out next couple of days and see what I find.

September, 29, 2011 AT 12:32 AM

Good luck

Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions