MY STARTER KEEPS ON CRANKING EVEN AFTER IVE ...

1991 Ford F-150

Anonymous

November, 29, 2012 AT 9:39 PM

My starter keeps on cranking even after i've switched off the keys. I've replaced the relay on the fender the commutator on the coulm & the starter itself ! I'm stumped guys.

November, 30, 2012 AT 6:09 AM

WE HAVE "S" AND "I" TERMINAL ON THERE

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_starter-solenoid-bwd_5972833-p?searchTerm=starter

"S" WIRE---SHOULD MAKE IT'S WAY BACK TO THE KEY (IGN SWITCH)

YOU MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE A "I" WIRE----IT HELPS OUT THE COIL, WHILE CRANKING

REMOVE BOTH "S" AND "I" WIRES

THE TRUCK SHOULD NOT CRANK NOWIF THE RELAY WAS STUCK (NOW) IT WOULD TURN OVER CONSTANTLY, WITH THE BATTERY CABLES STILL CONNECTED

WE'RE GOING TO GO WITH----IT'S NOT GONNA START----FOR THIS TEST

WITH A VOLTMETER (OR TEST LIGHT) GROUND THE BLACK LEAD TO THE NEG BATTERY TERMINAL

CHECK "S" AND "I" WIRES FOR JUICE---BOTH SHOULD BE DEAD

HAVE YOUR PAL TURN THE IGN SWITCH TO "START" (NOT "ON")"S" SHOULD GET 12 VOLTS---RELEASE KEY---IT SHOULD DIE

DO IT SEVERAL TIMES---"S" SHOULD ONLY BE HOT----IN THE "START POSITION"

NOWIF YOU HAD THE WIRES CONFUSED----NOW YOU KNOW WHICH ONE IS "S" AND PUT IT ON "S" TERMINAL ON THE STARTER RELAY!!!

----IF "S" WAS ALWAYS HOT, YOU HAVE SOME TRACING TO DO!

I'M GONNA SHOW YOU HOW MY '77 JEEP CJ 5 WORKS----AMERICAN MOTORS CORPORATION (AMC) USED A FORD SYSTEM IN "REAL VEHICLES!

THIS, BY NO MEANS, IS HOW YOURS IS EXACTLY WIREDBUT A LOT OF YOURS IS SIMILARPAY ATTENTION TO HOW "S" AND "I" WORK

IF "S" WIRE OR "S TERMINAL" SOMEHOW GOT CROSSED UP WITH A CONSTANTLY HOT WIRE, "S" WOULD ACTIVATE THE RELAY ALL OF THE TIMETHIS COULD ALSO BE A DEFECTIVE IGNITION SWITCH

LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES

Wiper Blade Replacement Porsche Carrera
Brake Light Bulb Replacement
Windshield Wiper Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Window Regulator and Motor Replacement Honda