91 CAPRICE

• Bad305bowtie
  • 1991 CHEVROLET CAPRICE

Car wont start. The other day I started my car to let the engine warm up for 5 min. I got in it and turned the rear defogger on. Once I did this the car started runnin poorly so I turned it off, it still ran bad then stalled. It started back up and ran poorly for 3 seconds then died. Once I went to start it again, it wouldnt crank. Everything else on the car still works. Does not crank and I cannot get it too. Battery and alternator tested good. The rear defogger fuse was also melted. Please help.

Sunday, December 5th, 2010 AT 6:51 AM

• Rasmataz

Cranking and w/n start or just won't crank at all/nothing when you turn key to cranking position?

Sunday, December 5th, 2010 AT 7:56 AM
  • Bad305bowtie

Will not crank at all when I try to start it.

Sunday, December 5th, 2010 AT 8:48 AM
  • Rasmataz

Could be the starter motor, starter relay, park and neutral switch and ignition switch assuming the battery and connections are good.

Sunday, December 5th, 2010 AT 9:08 AM
  • Bad305bowtie

Where is the starter relay located?

Sunday, December 5th, 2010 AT 9:22 AM
  • Rasmataz

Short out the starter motor small terminal with the purple wire to the battery terminal on it-if it cranks over -check if the purple wire is open to the ignition switch if not -replace the ignition switch

Sunday, December 5th, 2010 AT 9:27 AM
  • Bad305bowtie

How do I short it out?

Sunday, December 5th, 2010 AT 9:46 AM
  • Bad305bowtie

I replaced the starter that was the problem. But the car won't turn over unless I charge the battery or jump start it. I drove it for 20 minutes then the dash lights got dim I turned the car off went to restart and only clicked once. But once I jump it it starts right up again. Please help

Monday, December 6th, 2010 AT 9:58 AM
  • Rasmataz

Have the alternator and battery load tested some parts store does it for free-if okay-could be a short circuit draining the battery

Monday, December 6th, 2010 AT 5:14 PM
  • Bad305bowtie

I had them tested and they were good. I disconnected the rear defogger from behind the climate controls and left the fuse out because that's how all this firststarted and I didn't want to take a chance in it happening again? Could the no fuse in the rear defogger be doing it?

Monday, December 6th, 2010 AT 6:08 PM