WHAT COULD MAKE A STRANGE "WINDING" NOISE?

1990 Toyota Corolla

verbluda

July, 10, 2012 AT 6:39 PM

I have a 1990 Toyota corolla automatic transmission. Just yesterday, it began making a weird winding noise somewhere from the engine area. The noise sounds kind of like the noise a fishing reel makes when you catch a fish. That weird cranking/winding noise. It only happens when I shift the car in gear. When I start the car, it runs very smooth, but when I shift it into R or D, it makes that noise. I haven't driven it anywhere, so I cant tell if the noise is constant, but it seems like it is. I cant really tell where its coming from, but it's either somewhere around the serpentine belt or where the engine and transmission join. What could this be and how difficult is it to fix? Thanks

saturntech9

July, 10, 2012 AT 7:04 PM

Depends on what the noise is on how hard it is to fix. First thing is find where the noise is coming from long screwdriver works well.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour