OK MY FIRST QUESTION WAS AFTER REPLACING FRONT ...

• donnawoodlee
  • 1990 Nissan Stanza

Ok my first question was after replacing front bearings, and axle my wheel wouldnt tighten up.I checked the bearings and they were just shattered into pieces. Someone said that they sold me wrong size bearings so I got right size bearings installed them the wheel tightened up fine. Drove around the block come back jacked car up checked the wheel and again very loose. Please help this problem has cost me a fortune and going insane trying to figure this one out

Tuesday, October 30th, 2012 AT 2:54 AM

• KHLow2008

I believe something was not done correctly.

WHEEL BEARING R & I (STANZA)

REMOVAL

1. Remove hub and steering knuckle assembly. Place assembly in a vise. Drive hub and inner bearing from steering knuckle. See Fig. 8. Using a 2-jaw type puller, remove inner bearing from hub. Remove outer grease seal.

2. Remove inner grease seal from steering knuckle. Remove inner and outer snap rings. Remove outer bearing. Press bearing race out of steering knuckle (through back side).

INSTALLATION

1. Install outer snap ring into steering knuckle. Press bearing race into steering knuckle. Coat inner and outer bearings with multipurpose grease. Install inner snap ring into steering knuckle. Install inner and outer bearings.

2. Install outer grease seal. Carefully press hub into steering knuckle. DO NOT apply greater than 3.3 tons of pressure. Check wheel bearing preload. To complete installation, reverse removal procedure.

The axle shaft lock nut should be torqued to 174-231 ft. Lbs.

Tuesday, October 30th, 2012 AT 2:12 PM
  • donnawoodlee

I agree but IM female so please break it down for me just what would cause. It to tighten up but then loosen again vertically and horizontally while just driving around the block

Tuesday, October 30th, 2012 AT 7:23 PM
  • KHLow2008

How did you tighten the axle shaft lock nut, the big one in center of hub?

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 AT 10:19 AM
  • donnawoodlee

I believe they just used plyers but the wheel was tight before they let Jack down I checked it then I rode around the block and come back jacked it up and. It was loose again

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 AT 5:09 PM
  • KHLow2008

I mentioned it needs to be torqued at 174 - 231 ft lbs. Pliers? Either I understand this system wrongly or you have the wrong guy doing the job. Improper torquing would result in damage to the bearings as the nut is not holding the bearing correctly.

To be sure I understand the problem correctly, send me a picture of the hub with the center nut.

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 AT 5:27 PM
  • donnawoodlee

Here is a video and I thank-you so much for helping me
Truely Donna IM sorry it didn't. Let me send video let me go take tire off and get pic

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 AT 9:09 PM
  • donnawoodlee

Here's pic

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 AT 9:51 PM
  • KHLow2008

Yes, the central nut has to be torqued correctly and I believe that is the cause of the problem, improper torquing.

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 AT 9:57 PM
  • donnawoodlee

OK I know this sounds stupid but how do you. Torque and what do I use to do it

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 AT 10:11 PM
  • KHLow2008

For proper torquing, a torque wrench is required but most people would either use an air impact wrench or get someone to depress the brakes while you use a breaker bar to tighten the bolt.

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 AT 10:18 PM