DOESN'T STOP SQUEALING UNLESS ITS IN NEUTRAL

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse

simmons1332

May, 7, 2012 AT 9:26 PM

Why does my car have a high pitched squeal when I start it? I have a 1990 Mitsubishi eclipse turbo charged and I have recently replaced the water pump, alt, power steering pump, and replaced all the belts, iv even added belt dressing but am not sure what to do now. I was not having this problem until after I replaced all of this.

DrCranknWrench

May, 7, 2012 AT 9:31 PM

It may be that the tension on the belt is to high. Usually about 1/2" is good. With serpentines you don't have much choice though. So as long as the tensioner is working properly, you can rule that out.
Has the idler wheel been replaced? It may also be that the belt needs time to stretch and break in. Sometimes belts just suqeal until they get warm. It is usually indicitave of a loose belt slipping across a pulley. You have so many new parts that are all breaking in I would give it some time as they will spin more freely once they have some miles on them.

simmons1332

May, 7, 2012 AT 9:36 PM

Well I dowt its the new parts getting brokenn in because I got them off of another eclipse at a used parts store so the have been brokin in im sure. Im not sure what u mean by the tension on the bet is to high? And ughm idler wheel?

djcl

May, 7, 2012 AT 11:28 PM

See if a ther is a spacer on one of the tensioner that's in the wrong place

Engine Oil Change and Filter Mini Cooper
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement