HOW CAN I TELL IF THE DISTRIBUTOR IS BAD ON MY HONDA 1990 CRX

• margaret lane
  • 1990 Honda CRX

My car starts but there's a noise coming from the distributor area

Sunday, January 22nd, 2012 AT 7:33 PM

• fixitmr

You could remove and check play in shaft? Or possibly remove cap and watch it spin while cranking to see if anything seems loose? You didn't say what kind of noise? You could use an auto stethoscope $5 at harbor freight to listen to parts to determine source.

Sunday, January 22nd, 2012 AT 7:57 PM
  • margaret lane

Thanks for your response. What is harbor Freight? I took off the distributor cap and turned the engine over and nothing seemed loose. Hard to describe the noise? If the distributor was totally bad, wouldnt the engine not be able to start?

Sunday, January 22nd, 2012 AT 8:34 PM
  • fixitmr

Harbor freight is a 'chain' tool store. And sound may not be from distributor? You can try a tube to your ear to locate sound better. Or maybe 'feel' it using hand or added extension implement?

Sunday, January 22nd, 2012 AT 9:19 PM
  • margaret lane

Would other auto parts stores have that tool? Pretty sure the sound is coming from the distributor. And I felt it and it vibrates.

Sunday, January 22nd, 2012 AT 10:08 PM
  • fixitmr

They might. Probably cost more. When did you notice noise? And what kind of noise is it?

Monday, January 23rd, 2012 AT 4:55 AM