WHAT DID WE DO?

1988 Toyota Camry

cassandrawelch

September, 30, 2012 AT 6:57 AM

So I just inherited a 1988 Toyota Civic four door we know for sure the brakes in the back tires are shot and need to be replaced but we don't know why it wont start. It had been sitting in the drive way for two years but it was being turned on a ran for a hour every month not sure if that helped or not but just last year we went to drive the car to a different spot it turned over ran fine we turned off and went to turn it back and it wouldn't do and still wont we think it's the alternator but are not 100 percent sure on that is there any other cause of what it could be?

saturntech9

September, 30, 2012 AT 7:02 AM

So you have a no crank no start?If so have the battery tested and make sure the battery cables are clean and tight. Thats where I would start.

eugenemoore

October, 4, 2012 AT 2:36 AM

Bad smell went start

October, 4, 2012 AT 8:45 AM

Bad smell from where? Do the battery cables seems hot after cranking for a short while?

Have you cleaned and retighten the battery cables as suggested by saturntech9?

Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Guide
Starter Replacement