WAGON HESITATES AND STALLS

1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass

2CarPros-Archives

November, 9, 2010 AT 12:21 AM

1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Wagon mileage: 210,000. This car has been a terrific car until the last week. Yesterday, it started hesitating (all the time) and cutting off at lower speeds. There is no warning, the engine just stops. It almost always restarts on the first attempt, but sometimes it takes a couple of restarts to catch. I have replaced the fuel filter (back by the left rear tire) and added fuel treatment (STP). Over 45 mph the problem is almost completely non-existent. Below 45 MPH, I can feel the car 'hiccupping' as I drive it. Can you point me in the most likely direction to start looking for the problem?

2CarPros-Archives

November, 9, 2010 AT 12:24 AM

Your car may be ready for a major tune-up including spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter and air filter. Also, perform a fuel pump pressure test. Clean the fuel injection system including throttle bore, idle speed control motor and passages. If problem still exists, scan computer for trouble codes.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995