WHAT WOULD CAUSE THE CAR TO STALL OUT AT IDLE WHEN THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL IS DEPRESSED

1988 Mercury Tracer

richardcarson1

August, 8, 2012 AT 7:00 PM

Filled up with gas. Drove maybe a mile. Started to act as if it was going to die, flood out. It did die and it would restart but as soon as I touched gas pedal died. Would start, and when I put in gear died. I pulled the hose running from top of fuel filter and caught gas in glass jar while turning over and it had great pressure. I checked air filter and its new. I checked cap and rotor and are fine. I checked as many vacuum hose as I could, one at a time, checking for any cracks/wear. They all look relatively new. If you could help point me in a direction to illiminate items and to help me pinpoint issue I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your time. Respectfully, richard carson

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

hmac300

August, 8, 2012 AT 7:39 PM

Scan for codes and check fuel pressure with a gauge. Clean teh throttle plate on both sides with chokecleaner. Check all over engine ofr vacuum leaks.

saturntech9

August, 8, 2012 AT 7:40 PM

If you just filled up after filled upnand didnt happen before you got contamiated fuel or a failing fuel pump.I have seen a lot of fuel pumps fail after cold fuel hits them.

saturntech9

August, 8, 2012 AT 7:41 PM

Also check for codes.

richardcarson1

August, 8, 2012 AT 8:18 PM

I tried starting it today and is having difficult time starting. Turning it over and then releasing key tries to want to start but doesnt. I have checked all vacuum lines, like I said before, and the seem to be not weathered. This car was my grandmothers and is now my mothers, so it hasnt been raced around or driven hard, so I just dont understand how it could go from running flawlessly to cant even keep it idleing.

saturntech9

August, 8, 2012 AT 8:35 PM

I know this is a dumb question I have seen this happen many times are you sure you didnt put disel fuel in the tank by mistake?Because if it ran great before the fill up I would want ever went in that tank wasnt good.

richardcarson1

August, 8, 2012 AT 10:28 PM

Not dumb. I thought about that, but when I pulled the hose off of the fuel filter and let it pump into a one liter bottle it was as clear and clean smelling as ever. Thats why I dont get it. I will be getting a fuel pressure testing guage tomorrow and I hope thats what it is.

saturntech9

August, 8, 2012 AT 10:59 PM

I didnt say you were dumb I have seen people put disel in and never knew they did it. Iam just here to try to help you if this all started after a fill up thats where I would start. Let me know what you find.

richardcarson1

August, 9, 2012 AT 2:17 PM

I didnt mean that I meant the question isnt dumb. And believe me when I say how glad and grateful I am that you are giving me some advice. Today I am going to check fuel pressure and regulato. I hope its that cuz if not I am not sure where to look next

saturntech9

August, 9, 2012 AT 8:18 PM

Alright let me know what you find.