I'M READY TO DO A TUNE-UP

1988 Lincoln Town Car

Melinda

March, 2, 2012 AT 7:25 PM

On an '88 Lincoln Town, my first. What am I going to find under that air filter housing? The large filter housing blocks access to the rear plugs. What all am I going to have to remove to get to them; just the filter component, or is there more that has to come out to get to all the plugs and wires on the car? Note: my last tune-up was on a '49 MG TC, many, many years ago but am game to give this a try.

Timing/tuning Problem With A

Tuning

1 ANSWER

merlin2021

March, 2, 2012 AT 8:09 PM

If you're talking about the box on the passenger side firewall, that's the a/c evaperator core, D DO NOT OPEN!

Melinda

March, 2, 2012 AT 9:44 PM

Thank you for your quick reply Merlin. I will pop the hood tomorrow after the rain passes through here and be a lot clearer on what is blocking access to the back 4 plugs. Why I'm asking before I start unbolting anything under there! Ah, for the old TC and Austin A-40 days.

Melinda

March, 3, 2012 AT 5:38 PM

Ok, Merlin, I've attached a couple of photos from the net of the engine area of the 88 for reference. The large, light colored, square housing just aft of the oil filler pipe, and with the bridge extension to the driver side, is what seems to have to come off to get clear access to all of the plugs. (Is absolutely NOT the air filter unit as I had recalled it yesterday and thank you for the correction and warning.) If you just work around and under this obstruction I can do that, even get a flex extension if need be to wriggle in there. Geez. For a huge car things are still tight in there.

merlin2021

March, 3, 2012 AT 8:57 PM

That it's part of the throttle body and dies not need to come off. You need a spark plug socket and a swivel, all on an extension. On yours the plugs are down low just above the exhaust manifold. Some are tough to get at, and just three wrench and socket are used near the firewall.

Melinda

March, 3, 2012 AT 9:09 PM

OK! Will get an extension to work with and be prepared to thread my way in there between stuff. Yes, I do recall the ones I could see being very low and down in there. Thanks much, Merlin, you've been a tremendous help!! If you're ever near Columbus, Ohio come on over to Urbana, west of there, and visit the B-17 build we're doing. No engine work -- yet, just a lot of metal bashing. Here's the link: http://www.champaignaviationmuseum.org/ By the way Merlin, you made a damn fine engine for those Spitfires! Thanks again for all your help.....blue skies and easy projects to you.

merlin2021

March, 4, 2012 AT 3:33 AM

Pretty cool project.

Melinda

March, 4, 2012 AT 12:00 PM

It is a cool project, ALL volunteer, with one paid A&P lead who, like you, has the patience of a saint. 5 years out to Wright engines start up. Think I have one final question. Am I going to have to deal with points when I replace the distrubutor cap and rotor? Recall those were troublesome guys back in the day.

merlin2021

March, 4, 2012 AT 7:09 PM

No, point went out with the Baker electric!

Melinda

March, 4, 2012 AT 10:26 PM

Halleluiah! OK, I think I can do this! Thanks again for stepping a novice through this. Vrooom, vrooom!