WHEN I TURNED THE 4WD ON MY EXPLORER 4 LTR SOHC...

• frankermel
  • 1988 Ford Explorer

When I turned the 4WD hi on my Explorer 4 ltr SOHC, the right front wheel when turning left from a stop the wheel seems to be sluggish, choppy and a groaning noise was heard. I jacked the vehicle off the ground and engaged 4WD hi to see if all the wheels turned. The right front did not turn while the others turned while in 4WD hi freely. I put the vehicle in reverse and still the right front did not rotate. I turned the engine off and manually rotated theright front wheel and saw the half shaft spin thru the transfer case and I could see the shaft rotate behind the trasnfer case as well. Just for kicks I did the same for the left front and still I could see the half shaft spin through the transfer case and to the shaft behind the transfer case. Is the 4WD working improperly and if so what could be the issue?

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 AT 1:59 AM

• ASEMaster6371

The system is correct. It is an open rear which allows this type of rotation.

When was the last time you serviced the bearings in the front wheels?

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 AT 2:08 AM
  • frankermel

3 weeks ago when I changed the upper and lower ball joints. Why do you think the right front did not rotate when I engaged the 4WD while the car was off the ground?

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 AT 11:25 AM
  • ASEMaster6371

What about the bearings I asked about. Not part of the ball joint repair?

It is an open rear. When wheels off the ground, the spider gears will rotate making 1 wheel turn the opposite way when rotating. Normal condition

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 AT 11:39 AM
  • frankermel

As I indicated to your question about the bearings, they were greased about 3 weeks ago when I did the ball joints.
When manually rotating one front wheel off the ground the other did not rotate.

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 AT 2:53 PM