I HAVE A 4

1988 Chevrolet S-10

flash25205

November, 18, 2012 AT 3:17 AM

I have a 4.3 motor automatic transmission the transmission works untill I start going downhill and then the transmission acks like it is go in netural, you can downshift and it will not slow the truck down, I can give it gas and sometimes it will engage the transmission again, Once I get on level ground or up hill it starts working good again. You can go backward down a hill and it works great. You have to have really good brakes when you go down a hill. Any help thanks

November, 18, 2012 AT 3:50 AM

With that mileage-Let me ask you this -How long since you have the transmission serviced-don't recall check the tranny fluid level and condition -start here and then report back -

flash25205

November, 18, 2012 AT 1:07 PM

Just bought the truck so un sure about the service part, checked the fluid it looks good and full

November, 18, 2012 AT 9:07 PM

How did you check the fluid? If you're checking it like the oil its not the correct way-recheck it and make sure the engine is in normal operating temperature and idling while you check the level-Filter could be clogging-who knows-if it continues bring it in to a transmission specialty shop and have it pressure tested this will give you the direction where to start the diagnosis-possibilities the detent cable out of adjustment, governor, sticking solenoid and a clogged valve body etc-