CHARGING THE BATTERY 1988 780I

• SnowDaddy
  • 1988 BMW 750LI

I need to know where the connectors to charge the battery fron under the hood.

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 8:10 AM

• Rasmataz

What do you mean connectors-charge it right the battery posts

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 8:25 AM
  • Wrenchtech

It doesn't necessarily have contact points under the hood. It may but it's possible that you have to go under the back seat to access battery terminals.

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 10:59 AM
  • SnowDaddy

The problem is, the battery is dead, and the locks don't work. I need to charge the battery to get into the car, duh.

In my Audi there was a post in the engine bay to allow boosting of the car, and you were able to charge the battery as well, connecting to this post and using the engine hoist loop as a ground.

Also, I read here, that if you put the key in the passenger door and lift the handle the lock would open, this was in reference to a 92 750il, mine is a 88 and when I tried this procedure it didn't work.

So, short of breaking a window I am SOL as far as getting into the car goes.

Hope this describes the issue a little clearer.

Surely, BMW didn't miss the bolt with this minor piece of engineering.

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 4:58 PM
  • SnowDaddy

I meany Boat.

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 4:59 PM
  • Wrenchtech

No, the HAS to be a way to open it without battery power with the key alone. You couldn't open the hood unless you could open the doors first.

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 5:05 PM
  • SnowDaddy

Good god man, do you think I am an idiot? First of all if there is a way to open it with the key alone. What is it? Secondly, do you think I would ask where to charge the battery from under the hood if I didn't have it open. A small child can climb through the ski Bag opening, which she did, but could not lift the door locks, so we had her pull the hood release. There in lies the reason for my original question.

Sorry for the above tone, but I am beginning to become very frustrated with this issue.

Regards

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 5:41 PM
  • Wrenchtech

OK, chill out. I know you have the hood open now but if you didn't, then the manufacturer would have to supply a way to do that with a dead battery. I don't know the specifics of your vehicle but I do know there HAS to be a way into the car with a dead battery.

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 6:18 PM