IS THERE ANY WAY WAY TO PULL OFF THE STEERING WHEEL?

• DrAMP14
  • 1987 FORD F-150

Okay so I have a steering wheel puller but I have a snapped off bolt in where the puller bolts go, I've tried everything to get the bolt out from welding a nut or washer on it and drilling it out. I'm seriously about to rip my hair out. I just need to get the ignition cylinder out and its stuck in lock and I have tried drilling out the tumblers and retaining pin and its still in there so u was gonna pull off the wheel and try from the inside. I just wanna drive my truck so I can use it to move. Please help, is there any alternativr way to pull the steering wheel or get the cylinder out. I would wire a push button start if I knew how but the steering is also locked up from the cylinder being stuck in lock. It's a nightmare

87 f-150 4speed 5.0

Monday, September 3rd, 2012 AT 7:02 PM

• ASEMaster6371

Nothing you can do with the wheel off.

Drill more on the cylinder and be patient as you have to break out each piece till you get it all out. Then install the new one with the rack in the correct position.

Monday, September 3rd, 2012 AT 7:05 PM
  • DrAMP14

Break out each piece? I am confused a lil bit, should it just slide out and is there and specific spot I have to drill that I'm missing?

Monday, September 3rd, 2012 AT 7:10 PM
  • DrAMP14

Also what specific tools will I need? Thank you for the help

Monday, September 3rd, 2012 AT 7:16 PM
  • ASEMaster6371

Drill the center of the cylinder, get the guts out including the locking pin, and it should come out in pieces.

You need a drill, several of them in varying sizes, and a hammer and chiesel. And a lot of patience.

Monday, September 3rd, 2012 AT 7:28 PM
  • Djcl
  • 786 POSTS

Some times you can pull real hard on the wheel and rock it left and rignt up and down and it will pop off.

Monday, September 3rd, 2012 AT 7:37 PM
  • M_H_RITZEL

If you have enough bolt left in the hole to get an easy out in that would get you bolt out.

Tuesday, September 25th, 2012 AT 2:50 PM