Z24 TIMING PROBLEMS INSTALLING NEW CHAIN

1986 Nissan Van

kedgenz

May, 8, 2011 AT 5:10 AM

Hi guys

im a little confused here so maybe somebody can help me out

i got a copy of the nissan service manual for my z24 86 nissan nomad or vanette

replacing head gasket and a new timing chain and tensioner and gears but having problem with installation

my new timing chain has no marks or gold links on it to align the gears with the chain so how do I do it but my chain has a link in it can I use this?

the other thing is there has been a new head put on not to long ago befor I got the van as it shiny compleared to the block.

the front of the motor im assuming is cylinder 1

i have set TDC on the crankshaft with a screw driver and keyway on the crank is sitting at the top. My head is set so that it has just finished the exsaust and ready to push on the inlet thinking this is my tdc on the head. Problem is that my manual says that the alignment pin on the cam shaft should be at the top and in the case its at the bottom if I turn the cam so its at the top then its on its compression stroke.

any help out there

thanks
kevin

May, 8, 2011 AT 8:27 AM

The color of the link don't matter-just make sure its on no.1 piston at compression/TDC and align the markings on the cam and crank sprocket as indicated below-

May, 8, 2011 AT 12:03 PM

The links are not coloerd and only plated which makes it difficult to spot. S light held over the chain should help. The most important thing to ensure is that the cam and crank sprockets have 44 links in between them.

kedgenz

May, 8, 2011 AT 8:48 PM

What I did in the end was counted the links on the old chain and then remarked it on the new chain then realigned the marks on the diagram and the new marks I made on the chain and it all ligned up

thanks for you help
kevin

May, 9, 2011 AT 1:39 PM

You're welcome.

Have a nice day.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz