CAN I USE A 93 JEEP CHEROKEE WIRING HARNESS AND ...

1986 Jeep Wagoneer

LovinDiesel

June, 23, 2011 AT 5:14 PM

Can I use a 93 jeep cherokee wiring harness and engine in my 86 jeep wagoneer

Grand Wiring Problem

Engine Wiring

caradiodoc

June, 23, 2011 AT 5:49 PM

There's dozens of wiring harnesses and they're all different. The '86 model is an AMC product. The '93 is a Chrysler product. They are two totally different vehicles except the AMC used a rather tough Chrysler transmission.

LovinDiesel

June, 23, 2011 AT 6:20 PM

Yes but they both plug up the same exact way. They both work the same way. I am a mechanic. I know somewhat about this. I was just trying to get the opinion of everyone else.

caradiodoc

June, 23, 2011 AT 8:36 PM

You would know then that a lot of changes take place from just one year to the next so to go seven years is really pushing it. You still didn't say which harness you're looking at. I've only replaced a complete tail light harness on a relatively new Viper for intermittently blowing the tail light fuse, but other than a warranty issue or a fire, I would never expect to replace an entire harness. In fact, in my Automotive Electrical class, I spent a lot of time showing students how to replace terminals in connectors and make other repairs to the harnesses. I could justify an exception for a harness that fell down onto hot exhaust parts AND if you had a similar parts car handy, but otherwise replacing a half dozen wires takes less time than running to a salvage yard to search for a replacement.

Many years ago I put an '89 engine in my '88 minivan. Everything was the same except for the wiring harness and one sensor. You might consider looking on the harnesses for a part number tag. If they're the same, they will interchange. Having the same plugs doesn't mean much, but if the wire colors are the same and in the same locations, that would suggest there's a better chance they are the same.

Every once in a while you'll run into a do-it-yourselfer who thinks the way to find a short is by cutting a bunch of wires. When you run into one of those, you might be better off just replacing the harness. That can be less costly and faster than trying to find the ends of all of the wires and splicing them, especially if it's on a GM car where all of the daytime running light wires are the same color.

Which harness do you want to replace and what happened to it?

LovinDiesel

June, 24, 2011 AT 1:51 AM

I had a 2.5 4 cylinder from the 86 jeep wagoneer in the jeep but I took it out and put a 4.0 6 cylinder from a 93 jeep cherokee in it and im trying to find out if it will work. There are alot of sensor that arent needed because of the age difference but still alot that needs to be attached. Just wish I had some help.

caradiodoc

June, 24, 2011 AT 4:53 AM

Ahh. That's out of my areas of expertise. You probably have the Engine Computer already. Some other things to think about is one of the engines might be externally balanced and needs counterweights on the flex plate and vibration damper, and the fuel pressures might be different. If both engines use low pressure throttle bodies or both have high pressure injectors, the existing fuel pump should work because the regulator is on the engine.

Hope you get it figured out.

Air Filter Replacement Subaru Legacy
Air Filter Replacement