STARTING

1985 Chevrolet Caprice

cynthialfs

February, 14, 2011 AT 7:01 PM

Having problems with car starting and battery keeping a charge. Not the alternator and not the battery. What could it be?

February, 14, 2011 AT 7:05 PM

What is it doing? Cranking over and will not start or just won't crank at all/nothing when you turn key to cranking position?

February, 14, 2011 AT 7:11 PM

A battery drain with everything turned off? As far as testing the alternator and battery, the testing needs to be done with everything hooked up on the vehicle. Testing the alternator off the vehicle, a problem with alternator or battery wiring, that won't show-up.

If you have a drain, check for any lites left on, interior--under the hood, in the trunk. Best time to check is in the dark. An older way to check for drain, is to take battery cable loose, use testlite between cable and battery post, everything turned off, if lite come on, you have a drain. If the problem is on a fused circuit, you pull/replace fuses one at a time. When you pull the fuse on a faulty circuit, the lite goes out.

February, 14, 2011 AT 7:29 PM

If you pull every fuses and the test lite still On disconnect the alternator and see what happens

cynthialfs

February, 14, 2011 AT 7:46 PM

Got the car in Dec. 2010. I knew there was a problem with it starting, but figured it was battery, alternator, or starter. I was told the starter was fine. I replaced the battery and the alternator. Then still told there was low voltage for the alternator. Changed that out. Same thing. The original alternator was tested on a machine and I was told it was good so I put it back on the car. The battery is now only 2 weeks old and since I put it in I haven't had any problems and haven't had to jump start it. BUT I do a lot of driving and don't want to get stuck somewhere. Any thoughts?

Alternator testing done right
Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue