STARTER SITUATION

1985 BMW 528e

quasio

December, 28, 2010 AT 4:21 PM

I have a 1985 528e bmw. When I turn the key to start the car it does nothing. All instrument panel lights come on but I hear nothing on the starter

Starter

Starter

1 ANSWER
1 IMAGE

December, 28, 2010 AT 4:26 PM

If its not a security system issue-Could be the starter, starter relay, transmission position switch and ignition switch assuming the battery condition and connections are good.

quasio

December, 28, 2010 AT 4:33 PM

What do you mean security system issue? Alarm? It doesn't have one. Have a new battery, connections are good and tight. Not sure where the Starter relay is. Is there a way that I can test to see if it is the starter?

quasio

December, 28, 2010 AT 4:43 PM

Rasmataz, could it be the switch on the clutch pedal? Would that be the tran, position switch?

December, 28, 2010 AT 5:24 PM

Disconnect the clutch switch and jumper the connector and see what happens

quasio

December, 28, 2010 AT 7:11 PM

Still nothing

Dr. Hagerty

January, 11, 2011 AT 12:38 AM

There is a relay module that works in conjuction with the OBC that interrupts power flow to the starter. It is in the under dash area. The large black wire with the yellow stripe is the trigger wire to the starter, putting power to that wire should energize the starter. Follow the flow with that and see what happens.

Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Starter Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006