MY 1984 TOYOTA PICKUP 4WD WITH THE CABURETED 22R...

1984 Toyota Pickup

Anonymous

December, 28, 2012 AT 7:34 PM

My 1984 toyota pickup 4wd with the cabureted 22r 2.4l 4 cylinder engine will start, run, and idle fine. The problem is that when the engine reaches a certain load threshold it stalls. This happens while on the road at speeds that vary depending on conditions, but usually around 45-60 MPH. In order to fix this issue I have replaced the fuel pump, the fuel filter, all vacuum hoses, the carburetor, the radiator, the ignition control module, the catalytic converter, the ignition coil, and the power steering pump. I have tested the pressure on the EGR valve and the EGR vacuum modulator, tested the distributor diaphragm, and performed a complete tune-up including new plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor and timing.

I am at a loss as to why this vehicle would still be stalling while driving when it reaches a certain load threshold, and have no idea where to go from here.

Egr Valve

December, 30, 2012 AT 7:23 PM

With the amount of components and effort you have put in, this is definitely not going to be an easy nut to crack.
After it stalled, were you able to restart immediately?
Does it stall only with accelerator released or even while accelerating?
Can you explain more on the "certain load threshold" you are refering to?
Prior to stalling, arer there any indication of difference in performance such as signs of misfiring, loss power as if lacking fuel etc?
Did the dash indicator lights comes on immediately when the engine stalled?