HELP HAVING BRAKE ISSUES.....

1983 Chevrolet Van

Katmandu4u

September, 29, 2012 AT 9:20 PM

I have a 1983 chevy 20 series conversion van and am having brake issues. Blew 2 main brake lines to both rear and front right, replaced 1 and plugged other to get it home. When they are being pumped and bled, I can't get a solid pedal at all and the rear compartment of the master cylinder shoots brake fluid straight out the top but yet all brakes have fluid flowing freely to them. Any suggestions on what to try next to get the solid pedal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

September, 29, 2012 AT 9:31 PM

Still have air in the system. It is tough to get all the air out. It may require a pressure bleeder to assist you.

Katmandu4u

September, 29, 2012 AT 9:45 PM

We have tried that and still have nothing

September, 29, 2012 AT 9:48 PM

You have a pressure bleeder? Not many people have that. If all the air is out of the system, then the master cylinder may have failed.

Katmandu4u

September, 30, 2012 AT 8:00 PM

Hi I appreciate your help. Have tried new master cylinder, pressure bleeder new lines just about everything I can think of and still have no brakes. When its not running I can pump to hard pedal but the minute I start it press it once and u air and then nothing and goes to floor with no effort. Is there a way to test the vacuum booster and the black box that connects the lines together? I have worked on a lot of brakes but have never had this happen I just am at a loss. Also do you know where a guy could go to get a brake system diagram? Again I appreciate your help very much.

September, 30, 2012 AT 8:26 PM

I still think you have air trapped in the lines. The fact that you have a pedal when off is a good indicator.

Do you get solid fluid flow out the cylinders and calipers.

Katmandu4u

September, 30, 2012 AT 10:30 PM

Yes and I may have explained the solidness or lack of lol. When off there seems to be pressure but when running there is none. In both situations tho the pedal goes to the floor.

September, 30, 2012 AT 10:32 PM

You may need some help here. I suggest letting a shop finish this bleeding process for you as you seem to not be able to get rid of the air.

Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Mini Cooper
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma