I own a 1981 280ZX for 2 years now and having electrical problems with it.
1. The engine would stall intermittently. Noticed that the tachometer needle will move erratically just before the stall occurs. The needle would bounce quickly back and forth between 2000 rpm to 5000 rpm then stall. The engine would start with no hesitation. What could be causing this?
2. The starter will not turn after I turn the switch. I hear clicks from the relay. Battery is fully charged. I would then put a piece of metal across the battery cable and the solenoid switch terminal for the starter to turn on. This happens intermittently also. Wonder what is going on.
3. Sometimes the gas gauge and the temperature gauge will not show any reading, knowing that the fuel tank is not empty and the engine temperature not cold. Are the cables in bad order?
1. A shorted wire, or if points maybe a grounded wire in dist, if electronic, then maybe the unit itself.
2. Replace the relay, if you can jump it and it starts, good chance that is it.
3. This could be a cable shorting out or broken butnot completely like one or two strands just there, works someties other times not or it cold be agauge regulator problem. Check for blinking light at sender and see if you hav eit blinking or not with wire disconnected. Using a tester.