ACCIDENTAL SWITCH OF BATTERY CABLES

1980 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe

screaman005

September, 27, 2011 AT 4:16 PM

It was dark and cold and I was trying to jump my truck, but I found the cables weren't connected as I just purchased the vehicle and had disconnected them to put in the new battery, anyway, it being dark I switched the cables. Positive went to negative and vice versa. I got in, tried to start the truck, nothing happened so I went out to look, used my cell for some light and heard something like steam and a small puff of smoke come up from the right side of my engine near some wiring. Not good. So today I have been looking and reading, I can't find any wiring that is bad. I put in a new battery, no power at all. I tried putting jumper cables on, still no power. I checked the wiring from the battery to the starter solenoid and everything looks good. I checked all the wiring from where the smoke came from and nothing I can see looks out of the ordinary and I have pulled and checked all the fuses. Nada. I am lost, frustrated, and would really appreciate help anyone has to offer. Thank you.

cadieman

September, 27, 2011 AT 4:36 PM

There are fuselinks at the starter. Pull on the wires and see if one is blown. You may have damaged the altenater to.

screaman005

September, 27, 2011 AT 4:56 PM

Would the alternator being damaged cause their to be no power at all to the truck itself? I don't get any lights or radio or anything. And I found the wires from the solenoid to the starter but what are the fuselinks? Its under the truck so I don't have the best view of the wires

cadieman

September, 27, 2011 AT 5:35 PM

The wires that hook to the starter are fuselinks. One is burnt. Jack it up and start checking the wires.

screaman005

September, 28, 2011 AT 3:04 PM

Alrighty, got the starter dropped and the wires are exposed. They are dirty and there is a thick sheath over the top of it all which I have cut down to expose them. Now, how do I check the fuselinks? Is there an obvious way to tell if one is bad? And also, if one is bad, is it hard to replace? Do I have to run a whole new wire or do I just splice the wire into a new fuselink? Thanks for all the help so far, I do appreciate it!

cadieman

September, 28, 2011 AT 5:02 PM

Pull on each wire if the fuselink is blown the wire will fall apart. The fuselink is the wires that hook to the seloniod. You can spice a new one in. The fuselink is hooked the the copper wire and then the seloniod. You should have a test light to check the voltages.

Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Guide
Alternator testing done right