MERCEDES 300SD HIGH-PITCHED SOUND WHEN IN SECOND GEAR

1979 Mercedes Benz 190d

2CarPros-Archives

November, 22, 2010 AT 7:09 PM

1979 Mercedes 300SD Turbo Diesel mileage: 103,000. I've never owned a diesel car before, so I'm not sure what this could be. The other cold morning I started the car and I let it run for a minute then drove. As soon as it shifted into second gear, it started screaming like a high-pitched horn sound coming through what seemed like the vents into the front of the car. When I slow down, the noise lowers in tone until I'm in first gear when it stops altogether. I wasn't bold enough to try a higher speed. I'm afraid to take it to a mechanic without having some idea first, because I don't know any around where I live. (I just bought the car a few months ago.)

2CarPros-Archives

November, 22, 2010 AT 7:12 PM

Without listening to the high-pitched noise, we can give you some suggestions of what to look for. First, check the vacuum pump and also the vacuum hoses. Next, check for loose or faulty fan belts.

Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma