HORN PROBLEMS

• hector_lopez1949
  • 1978 Chrysler 5th Avenue
  • automatic

Need to trace the wiring from the horn button on the steering wheel to the horn. I have a 1978 Chrysler Fifth Avenue. And I'm having horn problems, I put two new horn relays and the horn doesn't work. What could be the problem?

Tuesday, March 1st, 2011 AT 2:44 AM

• caradiodoc

Does the relay click when you press the button? If it doesn't, the horns aren't the problem. Suspect the ground strap on the steering column. It is roughly a "W"-shaped metal strap slid onto one of the white plastic blocks under one of the mounting studs. (I have an identical '78 LeBaron here right now that had the same problem many years ago). Running an extra ground wire solved the horn problem.

Tuesday, March 1st, 2011 AT 11:55 AM
  • hector_lopez1949

Yes the relays click. Where would I run the ground wire to? Is the ground wire metal or is it insulated? Please let me know. Thank you.

Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 1:32 AM
  • caradiodoc

If the relay under the dash clicks the ground connection is good. The 12 volt feed is good too because it feeds both the relay coil (which is working) and the relay contact. That leaves pitted relay contacts, the horns, (did two fail at the same time?), Or the wire going to them.

The next step is to unplug one of the horns, then measure the voltage on the wire when a helper presses the horn switch.

Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 4:29 AM