SUDDEN LOSS OF ELECTRICAL POWER (EXCEPT EMERGENCY FLASHERS)

1976 Dodge

cburnette49@hotmail.com

August, 10, 2011 AT 2:40 AM

Was driving truck when suddenly everything died: Lights, motor, all accessories (except emergency flashers) Battery is charged and takes a load. The "idiot lights don't even come on in dash. When I check from battery ground to Battery terminal of alternator I have nothing, when I switch test light to positive side test light lights up. Is Alternator somehow interrupting power flow to entire truck cab or ignition switch not distributing power?

August, 10, 2011 AT 3:31 AM

LOOSEN, CLEAN, "SCOOCH" CONNECTORS AROUND, TIGHTEN WELL. EVERYTHING THAT IS A CONNECTION ON YOUR BIG CABLES (EVEN THE "CABLE SQUEEZERS" ON THE BATTERY CLAMPS!), POS AND NEGATIVE. ANY ITEM THEY CONNECT TO AND LEAVE OUT OF. ALL THE WAY TO THE STARTER. AND ENGINE GROUND. CHECK ENGINE TO FRAME GROUND AS WELL AS BODY GROUND!

LOOK FOR BAD FUSIBLE LINKS, TOO!

AS YOU PROGRESS. SEE IF IT'S FIXED, SO YOU WILL KNOW--"WHAT THE EVIL DEMON WAS!"

NO GETTING LAZY AND EXCLAIMING, "THAT LOOKS GOOD, I'LL SKIP IT!"

I'M HERE ANOTHER HOUR OR SO. ANY QUESTIONS?

cburnette49@hotmail.com

August, 10, 2011 AT 5:32 AM

It appears it is reversed for me I have ground but no power past main cables, somewhere main feed to everything but emergency flashers works. I looked up no light in dash when key on and Bad alternator was a suggestion I just cant figure out how an alt can affect whole power loop into cab. Baffled in VA, I have started running continuity checks across board trying to verify no breaks before swapping alt, volt reg, key switch etc. Will follow up when sun comes back up thanks for info and your time.

August, 10, 2011 AT 5:54 AM

'76?

I DON'T SEE THE ALT AS A FACTOR EITHER!

UNDERSTAND AND KNOW HOW TO CHECK FUSIBLE LINKS?

DOWN HERE IN S.C.

BED TIME WAS 2 HOURS AGO!

SEE YOU LATER TODAY!

cburnette49@hotmail.com

August, 11, 2011 AT 3:58 AM

Found damaged batt cable grounded out to starter, but after changing cable and cranking motor it ran momentarily and died again. I have also determined that Batt term wire to alt is showing continuity to ground. Starting to think that short coulda burned fusible link somewhere and I have just not found the intermittent little demon. And am not fully convinced the ket switch isn't faulty. Thanks for your time with earlier posts and any future tips you my provide.

August, 11, 2011 AT 4:08 AM

TO BE REALLY LAZY, ON MY END (I REALLY HUNT AND P.ECK SLOW!)---READ AND SEE MY HOMEMADE PICS AND "COUNTRY BOY" EXPLANATIONS!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1992-ford-ranger-wont-start

MAYBE IT WILL HELP

I'M HERE...KEEP ME POSTED...I LIKE AUTO SOAP OPERAS!

cburnette49@hotmail.com

August, 19, 2011 AT 4:54 PM

Kept checking wiring and finally found the culprit, when batt cable arced off it damaged a small remote body ground located under a rubber flap covering radiator. Thank you for all your time and effort in replying to my dilemma. Will recommend this site to friends as well.

August, 19, 2011 AT 7:46 PM

AIRBORNE!

GLAD YOU GOT IT ALL FIGGERED OUT!

YOU SHOULD STILL EXPLORE OUR SITE. BREAKING YOUR RIG, IS NOT A PREREQUISITE!

Headlight Bulb Replacement Acura MDX
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz ML