I HAVE A 69 COUGAR XR7 WITH TACH AND AMMETER

• Clintonio
  • 1969 Mercury Cougar
  • 7 miles

I have a 69 Cougar XR7 with tach and ammeter. Ignition switch pigtail fried. I replaced the pigtail along with the switch. Kept original key tumbler. Car starts fine but not charging. Over the summer the pigtail fell apart on the voltage regulator, so I just wired the wires straight to it without the harness. Now saying all this I see that it has an orange wire to the F and green/red stripe to the A and yellow wire to the S. Am I correct. No wire to the I seeing that it doesn't come with an idiot light. Yellow wire is hot constantly. Jumped the Field wire while running and the volts go up. Nothing from the green/red striped wire though. Where does this run to and I am sure this needs to be hot.

Wednesday, March 6th, 2013 AT 2:04 AM

• ASEMaster6371

Sounds right. You may just need a voltage regulator.

Wednesday, March 6th, 2013 AT 2:07 AM
  • Clintonio

Well I am thinking this just the same but doesn't the green/red wire have to be hot, or is it hot after the regulator is actually working?

Wednesday, March 6th, 2013 AT 2:19 AM
  • ASEMaster6371

Hot after regulator is working. You bypassed the reg to trigger the alt. You did the job that that wire will control with the new regulator

Wednesday, March 6th, 2013 AT 2:20 AM
  • Clintonio

Again I am answering my own questions. LOL it's been awhile. Thanks Roy.

Wednesday, March 6th, 2013 AT 2:22 AM
  • ASEMaster6371

Good luck

Wednesday, March 6th, 2013 AT 2:26 AM