I HAVE A 69 COUGAR XR7 WITH TACH AND AMMETER

1969 Mercury Cougar

Clintonio

March, 6, 2013 AT 2:04 AM

I have a 69 Cougar XR7 with tach and ammeter. Ignition switch pigtail fried. I replaced the pigtail along with the switch. Kept original key tumbler. Car starts fine but not charging. Over the summer the pigtail fell apart on the voltage regulator, so I just wired the wires straight to it without the harness. Now saying all this I see that it has an orange wire to the F and green/red stripe to the A and yellow wire to the S. Am I correct. No wire to the I seeing that it doesn't come with an idiot light. Yellow wire is hot constantly. Jumped the Field wire while running and the volts go up. Nothing from the green/red striped wire though. Where does this run to and I am sure this needs to be hot.

March, 6, 2013 AT 2:07 AM

Sounds right. You may just need a voltage regulator.

Clintonio

March, 6, 2013 AT 2:19 AM

Well I am thinking this just the same but doesn't the green/red wire have to be hot, or is it hot after the regulator is actually working?

March, 6, 2013 AT 2:20 AM

Hot after regulator is working. You bypassed the reg to trigger the alt. You did the job that that wire will control with the new regulator

Clintonio

March, 6, 2013 AT 2:22 AM

Again I am answering my own questions. LOL it's been awhile. Thanks Roy.

March, 6, 2013 AT 2:26 AM

Good luck

Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator testing done right
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML