OLD SKOOL WARM UP

1963 Lincoln Continental

calipapi2000

January, 2, 2011 AT 3:03 AM

I have recently purchased a 1963 Lincoln Continental convertible. It does that old skool need 10-15 minute warm up period before I go to work everyday which sucks because I can be on call at anytime. What should I add or change to my car in order to get up and drive within seconds of starting it?

Wiring Issue?

January, 2, 2011 AT 3:14 AM

There are 2 things that affects cold start running.

1. Fuel system. When cold the engine requires a richer running condition and most older vehicles either have a manuaul choke system whereby the choke is pulled to close the upper carburettor bore to increase the fuel ratio to the amount of air going in to enrich the system. This would also increase the idling speed of the engine to reduce shorter wating period.

If your carburettor is equipped with the choke system, get it checked and ensure it is working correctly.

2. Ignition system. When ignition coil, spark plugs and wires are bad, they would run bady when cold. After warming up, they would perform better.

Get the spark plug cables ohmed out and ensure they have continuity and have less than 25 k ohms.

Ensure the sparks from the ignitin coil are strong, ( bright blue) weak sparks would not allow the cylinders to combust correctly.

calipapi2000

January, 2, 2011 AT 4:38 AM

How about performance parts? Will replacing or adding stuff fix the problem as well as the upgrade of spark plugs? For example the Edelbrock Performer Series Carburetor http://www.jcwhitney.com/performer-series-carburetors/p2021379.jcwx?filterid=c2039d1399y1963j1

January, 2, 2011 AT 4:52 AM

Performance parts does nothing to help except burn a hole in your pockets.

Unless the original parts are found to be bad, forget about wasting your money on them.

If the carbutretor is bad or without any choke mechanism, you can consder others but if it is not faulty, putting performance parts is not going to help.

Ensure you know what is wrong or causing the problem before embarking on parts replacement.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes ML350
Oil Change & Filter Chevrolet Equinox
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Mercedes ML
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford