WOULD HAVING THE CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEL CHANGED AFFECT ABS

2002 Ford Focus • 1.8L 4 cylinder Turbo 2WD Manual •

Hi, I recently had my clutch and flywheel changed approx 3-4 weeks ago and about 2 weeks ago I started realizing that something was not right with my ABS system. No warning lights but the brakes started to seem sticky and slowing the car down. Now it is starting to really drag on the car. I know that the clutch and the brakes work off of the same fluid reservoir but, would having the clutch and flywheel changed be a precursor to brake issues? I am currently out of work and trying to start a new business. Changing the clutch and flywheel almost broke me that is why I need expert advice to go back to the mechanic with if and I have a leg to stand on.

Regards,

Ray
Rmcclure

The clutch and brakes do not share a master cylinder. If they did and the clutch slave cylinder sprung a leak, you'd lose your brakes too.

What you're describing is typical of the brake fluid contaminated with a petroleum product, but there are other causes of dragging brakes. Stop on a slight incline, then release the brake pedal and see if the car creeps downhill on its own. If it does not, or if you can't push the car by hand, we have to figure out where the brake fluid is being trapped. A parking brake cable could also be rusted in the partially-applied position. Ford has a lot of trouble with sticking cables.

I did notice that when I got my car back after being repaired that my hand brake did not work properly and seemed to be stuck, but it seemed to free itself afterward.

I appreciate your quick reply and I will have it checked out.

Thank you,

Ray

Rmcclure
Also, I noticed that the problem seems to be intermittent. Sometimes the car will roll freely on a slight incline and sometimes it just will come to a quick stop at 5mph when I depress the clutch.

Regards.

Rmcclure