LEAK

1999 Volvo XC70

Air Conditioning problem
1999 Volvo XC70 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

I recently recharged my A/C system after leak test showed OK. Within two days system was not blowing cold again. Compressor was cycling on and off. Is there a good diagram somewhere showing the entire system and also where are the vulnerable connection points to check. I can find no oil on any of the lines that are visable. I will use a dye next but am wondering where the real trouble spots are in my particular system. Do you have a good method for determining the origin of the leak. Thanks Dan m
Dmoylan

Have you done an A/C perfomance test? What were the low and high side gage readings? Are you out of refrigerant again? If you are, get a black light and look closely at the condensor especially near the high side service port. Have seen the condensors leak around there. Also shine the black light at the firewall where the lines go into. If there is dye then the seals are leaking behinde the aluminum cover. Shine the black light towards the front of the compressor also. Make sure the front seal is not leaking there. If no leaks are revealed during the inspection then the evaporator could be leaking but to inspect that the climate box needs to come out. Another issue with the A/C not blowing cold is a worn compressor clutch but for the most part, at the beginning you do get cold air and then it starts to blow warm air.

JIS001
I wonder if you can tell me where the low side fitting is? The high side is right there on the left side looking in near the coolant resevoir I believe

Dmoylan
The low side fitting is under the coolant reservoir and the high side is on top of the condensor on passenger side. Like I mentioned earlier, look right there on the condensor for green dye leaking around there on the sides.

JIS001