STUCK BUTTON

1998 Volvo XC70

1998 Volvo XC70 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 200000 miles

i am trying to fix the button on my shift arm (I don't know what to call it). The one you have to push in order to go into reverse. The button gets stuck, and I have to wiggle or hit the shifter to get it to pop out. If I don't, I can't get the key out of the ignition. Oh yeah, I also have an intermittent problem with a warning tone. It's the one that indicates if your seatbelt is off after you close the door (same tone as leaving keys in the car). Sometimes it will stop if I slam the door. Sometimes if I close the door gently. Sometimes it works fine. Thanks to anyone who can help with either issue!
Lugene.pitman

For the gear selector knob needs to be replaced. Not to hard to do but you may fight the leather boot to remove it. Grab boot at the top and you should feel a plastic ring. Squeez and twist off. Once you slide the boot down put in nuetral and press the button in and pull up on the gear selector. You are going to need to pull up on it with no mercy. To install I usually grab a bundle of shop towels and a rubber malet. Put shop towels on top of gear selector and with malet hit it back inad reinstall leather that part may be a little tricky. The second question when the bell goes off are there any messages on the drivers information cluster for an open door? And if so what door?

JIS001
There are no warning lights when the bell goes off. The only thing that will stop it is closing the door again. The problem is it might take 2 times, or 12 times! I heard the sensor might be embedded somewhere in the handle/lock mechanism. Hope not. That would probably mean a full replacement, and hefty price.

Lugene.pitman
It is the complete lock assembly you would need to replace. But you should have it checked out to verify that it is the lock causing the noise.

JIS001