WONT TURN OVER, GLOVE BOX LIGHT FLASHING

2005 Volvo S40

2005 Volvo S40 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 50000 miles

My girlfriends volvo won't turn over, I don't see how it could be the starter, because it worked fine the last time I parked it (about 4 hours ago) and when I try to jump start it, it doesn't make a bit of noise when turning the key except that the glove box light makes a ticking noise and flashes on and off. Its difficult to take the key out until the ticking ends, because it won't turn back into the position it needs to be in to take it out. I think it could be something to do with the security system, but lordy these volvo's are wierd.
Stoneimmaculate

Sounds like the battery voltage is very low. The ticking you are hearing could also be coming from the central electronic module which is under the glove box. You may want to call a tow truck over and have them jump start you since they have heavy duty cables. Also a very low battery voltage will cause the key to not come out. And if you get it started there is a good chance you may have some warning lights come on like the SRS and ABS light due to low battery voltage. You can also replace the battery yourself if you want. Keep me posted please.

JIS001