HOT START PROBLEM

1985 Volkswagen Van

1985 Volkswagen Van 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 167000 miles

My sons Vanagon has trouble starting after the engine has warmed up (approx 15 minutes or more). If shut off then attempted to restart immediately or anytime within the next 20 or so minutes it will turn slowly or not at all. Rested for 1/2 hour or more it will find enough juice to turn over.

We started by replacing the alternator. That has not helped. Battery is new and we have checked the grounding straps which appear to be fine. Not sure if we should have him replace the starter? That costs some $$$ and I would hate to be wrong again. Is there something else we should be looking at?

Steve & Clay
Bellingham WA
Skyfisher

Hello –

It sounds like the starter is getting hot and dragging to me. You can take it to Auto Zone (AZ) or O’Reilly’s (OR) and for FREE they can check it out. You will have to remove it and they can put it on their tester.

I show the starter is about $89.00 there……….
Some vehicles have a heat shield between the exhaust and the starter to prevent so much heat hitting the starter……….
I would remove it and take it and have it checked for free and then look the vehicle over really good to check the connections really good at the battery and starter for any heat damage.

Thank you very much for the donation

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS
Finally! My son raised the cash and replaced the starter. ARRRgh! Problem persists. The sucker gets 10+ miles under her belt and then " thinks" about a start. We are into it now for the starter, alternator and battery. Other suggestions? Grounding straps look Okay (I think).

Skyfisher
Hello –

On my previous response I spoke about a heat shield or blanket…. Do you know if your model requires one? I would check with the dealer parts department to see if there is one there.

Next, the wiring………look the battery wiring over really good…. Is it really hard or corroded to include at the starter……….

If the wire is burnt or defective the heat from the engine may interrupt the transfer of power.

How does it look

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS
Hello –

I want to review the TSBs for this…. Is your model just the Vanagon or the GL, or the L model and what is the engine size in liter.

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS
It's a GL Vanagon. I believe it a 1.9 L But not sure how to be sure.
Also, manufacture date is 5/84 NOT 85 as I suggested before.

Thanks for the follow up.

Steve & Clay
Bellingham WA

Skyfisher
Hello –

If you can provide me the entire VIN I will give you all the info tied to it to better help you in the future.

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS
Hello –

I am sorry……I want to make sure we are on the same page……I was wanting the VIN number to verify some info before going any further……or did I misunderstand and you were waiting on me for something?

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS