85 VW VANAGON NOT STARTING

1985 Volkswagen Van

1985 Volkswagen Van 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic? Miles

Okay, I know very little about cars but I will try to provide as much info as I can. I bought this van last weekend. The speedometer/odometer isn't working so I have no idea what the mileage is. I would assume very high. It currently reads 139k. It was running when I bought it. When I brought it home it was having problems staying running while idling. The OXS light is on and the temperature light was flashing. I was planning on having an oil change/tune up this weekend. A couple of days ago I was driving it and it stalled. It turns over, but very slowly. A friend brought some jumper cables over and we let it sit for a good half or so. It turned over faster, but wouldn't start. This morning I tried starting it again, it turned over very slowly again. Any information you can provide would be helpful.
Imaveggiesaurus

Hi imaveggiesaurus, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation.

Try having the alternator checked out if okay do below

Fuel and Spark: Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 in away from ground have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor /distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, ECM, Ignitor camshaft and crankshaft sensors and computer. Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it