WHITE SMOKE

Volkswagen Other

I have a 2003 GTI 1.8 Turbo with 87 k. I just recently replaced my Ko3 s turbo cause it was blown (Oil in all the lines and about a 1/4 inch shaft play) There is still white smoke commin outta the tail pipe though. I dove the car around to see if there was just some oil still in the exhause buring but the problem doesent seem to be getting any better. I also noticed that im running rich? The smoke is white forsure but dont leave any oil drops on your hand and it dont smell like antifreez. Im not loosin any antifreez and dont seem to have any in my oil. I ran a compresson test and I have compresson on every cylender. Im not clamin im a VW Tech but im a pretty good wrench guy and im really stumped on this ****. PLEASE HELP any Ideas would be great.
New Philly Billy

The only way white smoke to make it to the tail end is, the coolant is being burn in the combustion chamber to rule this out do below

Have it block and pressure tested-do the block first to pinpoint a combustion leaking into the cooling system or a gas analyzer to sniff for hydrocarbons at the radiator fill neck.

Pressure test: do not do a pressure test if there's leakage at the headgasket this might cause coolant into the cylinders and lock it up or bend a connecting rod if cranked thereafter. The headgasket should be repaired before doing the pressure test.

If the block and pressure test passes check the following: Thermostat, Pressure test the Rad. Cap, Clogged radiator, Fan clutch, Radiator electrical fan, collaspe hoses, water pump.

Good Luck

Okay thanks for the help!

New Philly Billy
Hi!I also have 2004 vw gti 1.8t
I had a problem with turbo charger and I have replaced it. However, 3 months after my car started blowing white smoke. I also feel that car acceleration is not consistent. Kind of start going then slows for a moment and then continues going. I am not sure if mechanic did put new turbo as he promised! Please let me know what happend to you! Did you figure out why did your car still blow white smoke

Toniskeva
Oil, coolant, fuel, condensation (moisture). All can cause white
smoke and they all smell different as well.

If you are familiar with the different scents, carefully smell the
white smoke to identify what the source liquid "might" be.

Once you know the type of smell, you can determine the cause.

With the colder climate ahead, it is common to see white smoke (condensation)
leaving the exhaust pipe. But should go away once the engine has
reached operating temp (unless ambient temp is low enough to keep
the condensation visible).

Thomas

Exovcds
It is oil! I have to add quart of oil every couple of days! I think that it has something to do with turbo charger!

Toniskeva
Check the air hose leaving the turbo for signs of oil.

Disconnect the hose at the intercooler and check for oil build-up
at the base of the cooler.

On TDi engines, I like to drill a small hole and drain the cooler
at every oil change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeKpRMF7ecw

I have drained 1.8T intercoolers the same way.

Oil can also be making its way INTO the Turbo from the PCV system.

If the system is not breathing correctly, pressurized crankcase
vapor (oil) will enter the intake/turbo through the hose on the
valve cover or through the vacuum hose under the intake manifold
where it connects to the suction jet pump assembly and the 2-way
vacuum / boost check valve.

Thomas

Exovcds