JETTA OVERHEATING

1998 Volkswagen Other

I have a 1998 VW Jetta. A few months ago the temperature light began blinking intermitently. However, the temperature gauge did not show any movement. The light began to blink with more regularity and I noticed I was getting less and less heat coming out of the vents when I had the heat turned on. But still the temperature gauge stayed steady at 180 degrees (where it's always been). Then a week or two ago the temperature gauge suddenly started to rise. I can drive for about four or five miles before the gauge starts to creep towards 230 degrees and up. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of what the main cause might be as well as how much it might cost, so I can be appropriately prepared when I take it in. Thanks for any input.
Jrispin

You might need a new radiator and hoses.
Did you leak coolant?
If so, then yes the radiator and hoses.

Could be you could just need a new temp sensor OR a new cap for the coolant holder (it has a name that I cant for the life of me remember at 6am!)

Could be a $50 problem or a $500

Either way, take it to a VW Specialist.

DO NOT settle for anyone else.

Let me know what it turns out to be.

Nemahh