BRAKE LOCK UP

2001 Volkswagen Jetta

Brakes problem
2001 Volkswagen Jetta 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 127000 miles

Brakes lock up on icy and snow covered surfaces. The brake pedel goes all the way to the floor, and the brakes will not release until the car comes to a complete stop. You can just touch the brakes on icy surface and they will lock up. The ABS light does not come on. On dry surfaces I have no problem at all. I just took it to a automotive shop to have them look at the brakes. They said they could not find anything wrong. Brake pads were replaced a year ago or so. My kids have said that this car has always had this problem. I have just started driving it within the last 6 months.
Tjmorken

When you turn your key on do you see the ABS light come on your dash?

Dr Loot
The ABS light comes on the dash when you turn the key half way on and then goes off. It turns off before the car is started.

Tjmorken
If you are using a semi-metallic pad, as the brake pads where-out the ABS sensors are magnetic and they will collect metal particles which will cause the sensors to malfunction, describing exactly your symptoms, you will need to take it back to the shop, have them pull the ABS sensors and clean them. Or you may have a bad proportioning valve, that is the valve that applies the pressure equally to the front and the rear brakes, according to how much weight you have in the back of the car, if you need a more detailed explanation let me know.

Dr Loot