CLUTCH & FLY WHEEL

2000 Volkswagen Beetle

2000 Volkswagen Beetle 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 150, 00 miles

My 2000 VW Beetle suddenly (without any warning) would not shift into gear. The clutch felt as if it had completely died. My mechanic says that the clutch needs to be replace and the fly wheel. It this usual and what is the norm regular price for replacement of a clutch and a fly wheel?
Myradore

You ar elooking at about 6 hours of labor to do thejob. As far as theflywheel goes, some of those had a rubber mounted center to help dampen vibration. These will fall apart and cause all sorts of clutch problems. There are replacement kits that come with flywheel and all clutch components, this is highly suggested to prevent issues later.I have seen prices from 500 all theway to 1000 for the kit, so you may want to shop around to see what you can find. Definitly go with a NEW clutch instead of a remanufactured though, they perform better and last longer.

Jack42